Brainstorming - How will this work?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brainstorming - How will this work?

Post by Emiya on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:46 am

Precursor to the rules thread. Before I begin to setup the rules and gameplay, I would like to hear your suggestions. What do you want to see? What don't you want to see? Do you have certain concerns about how this is going to play out? Are you still willing to play, knowing I'm asking for a good portion of your time?

For those of you familiar with forum roleplaying, I predict this will work like a structured version of a standard roleplay. Dice and such will still be used to determine damage, and rules will be taken from standard D&D. However, you as a player will have a little more free reign on what your character does (or attempts to do), though, the DM's narratives is still considered word of god.

Right off the bat, my biggest concern is how long it could take to finish combat encounters. Sometimes a person will not be able to post on a certain day, or (probably somewhat often), we will be stuck waiting on a specific player to take their turn, or have to wait for the DM to get online to continue the narrative. These things are somewhat unavoidable, however, the issue can be reduced if everyone is willing to be active. That means checking the forum more than once a day if possible. I understand sometimes that's just not possible, but as long as everyone makes the effort, I will be satisfied.

More importantly, before we even get into the details, who is willing to play? While I already have a basic plot and a few ideas going, I don't want to begin setting everything else up until it's verified this will be going somewhere.

I do not have to take the DM role if someone else would like to be DM. Still, I would like at least 3 players, but the more the better. If you have any other friends that might be interested in some forum D&D, do refer them here.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Brainstorming - How will this work?

Post by Andris Greatwing on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:40 pm

I'm interested and i just hope for a fun story with a branching plot drunken
Andris Greatwing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The GM on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:17 pm

As far as combat antics go, you might just have to change the entire combat system to suit a forum.

Perhaps a system where battles are determined by only a few posts about the big decisions rather than having to enunciate every single attack.

View user profile http://lunchtable.userboard.net

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBroad on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:18 pm

I'd be up for it, and I have one or two ideas for how to streamline combat (and other checks as wel) somewhat. Maybe just include actual rolls within actions if we're sticking to a narrative format? An example would be something along the lines of "X swung his mace at the goblin (14) not once, but twice (3)," indicating a full-round attack. Apologies if that's actually standard convention, I can't say that I'm familiar with forum DnD or even RPing, though in the latter case it shouldn't be too much different than what I'm used to.
SirBroad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TenHundredFolly on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:27 pm

need4snacks wrote:As far as combat antics go, you might just have to change the entire combat system to suit a forum.

Perhaps a system where battles are determined by only a few posts about the big decisions rather than having to enunciate every single attack.

I agree with you. The 'natural' combat system of D&D would be very difficult to do in a forum. I'd say have the player-characters post their rolls and what they planned to do in combat, and have the DM figure out what they fail on.
For forum D&D, I'd think these would be the most important question that we need to ask and be answered on:

1) What D&D system are we using, and is the DM going to change rules, classes and races?

2) The location of the campaign. A lot of the lore, races, deities, and possibilities of running into Outsiders or other supernatural beings from other Planes change drastically with where they are. Is there going to be an entrance to the Underdark?

3) The combat system, and how often we have to post. Maybe we can schedule a date to play and have a concentrated play instead of having to wait on people to post to continue the story.
TenHundredFolly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Emiya on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:31 pm

need4snacks wrote:As far as combat antics go, you might just have to change the entire combat system to suit a forum.

That sounds interesting, but how would this work practically?

SirBroad wrote:I'd be up for it, and I have one or two ideas for how to streamline combat (and other checks as wel) somewhat. Maybe just include actual rolls within actions if we're sticking to a narrative format? An example would be something along the lines of "X swung his mace at the goblin (14) not once, but twice (3)," indicating a full-round attack. Apologies if that's actually standard convention, I can't say that I'm familiar with forum DnD or even RPing, though in the latter case it shouldn't be too much different than what I'm used to.
Yeah, either this or the DM rolling would be ideal. Even so, if an encounter lasts a total of 3 rounds, and we have 4 players + the DM, we would end up waiting on a total of 15 posts, not counting intricate details like attacks of opportunity (or standard roleplay, for that matter).

TenHundredFolly wrote:
1) What D&D system are we using, and is the DM going to change rules, classes and races?

2) The location of the campaign. A lot of the lore, races, deities, and possibilities of running into Outsiders or other supernatural beings from other Planes change drastically with where they are. Is there going to be an entrance to the Underdark?

3) The combat system, and how often we have to post. Maybe we can schedule a date to play and have a concentrated play instead of having to wait on people to post to continue the story.
I was going to make a custom location and setting with standard 3.5 rules, but of course, if anyone else decides to DM, they are free to do whatever they want with their campaign including rules, classes, etc.

Scheduling specific dates where we can make a concerted effort with posting sounds like a good idea; however, such dates would have to be made on a weekly basis since we have people with school, work, etc. with different days and hours off.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TenHundredFolly on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:42 pm

I would also be willing to DM. It'd also be a custom setting and location, based off of Pathfinder and 3.5 rules.
I have, however, no experience with forum D&Ding.
TenHundredFolly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Emiya on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:42 pm

TenHundredFolly wrote:I would also be willing to DM. It'd also be a custom setting and location, based off of Pathfinder and 3.5 rules.
I have a lot of experience with forum rping, but not of D&D.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Go go, Power Rangers

Post by TenHundredFolly on Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:45 pm

Emiya wrote:
TenHundredFolly wrote:I would also be willing to DM. It'd also be a custom setting and location, based off of Pathfinder and 3.5 rules.
I have a lot of experience with forum rping, but not of D&D.

We should combine powers! And then this will be of an ultra-super-awesome proportion.
TenHundredFolly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Emiya on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:59 pm

Currently talking to a few people about how we'd go about making this as efficient as possible. I'll post our ideas once they're established and finalized.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Thundergod Ry'Ven on Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:44 am

My suggestion, throw out traditional D&D's battle system, it's abysmally slow IRL and would kill this RP online. The system I developed would be alot faster. (We'll talk about it on Skype) Any other help you need, again, just drop me a message.

Thundergod Ry'Ven

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top